Black and white photograph of H.V McKay Massey Harris workers unloading mortar bombs for use as scrap metal in 1948. The photo was taken at the rear of the company's factory in Sunshine. The company manufactured munitions and equipment for the Australian military during World War II.
Part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company's history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.
Description of Content
Four workers standing on the back of a truck unloading mortar bombs. Factory building and materials can be seen in the background.
Black and white copy negative.
Negative - Copy, Black & White
Caption reads: "UNLOADING MORTAR BOMBS FOR SCRAP: AUG 1948" PHOTO SHOWING MCKAY EMPLOYEES UNLOADING MORTAR BOMBS TO BE USED AS SCRAP METAL. PICTURE TAKEN AT REAR OF THE SUNSHINE FACTORY.
Type of item