List of Australian Seaphone Channels on a wooden clipboard.
This equipment was collected from the Melbourne Coastal Radio Station after it was closed in July 2002. In addition to communications equipment and documentation, items in general office use were collected in order to represent as far as possible the working environment at the time of closure.
A wooden clipboard with a large black and silver metal clip at the top. A list of Australian seaphone channel frequencies is glued to one side, a map of Tasmania is sticky taped to the other side.
Donation from Mr Michael Greenwood, 08/2002
Melbourne Maritime Communication Service (Melbourne MCS), Telstra - Australian Maritime Communication Service (Australian MCS), 1225 Boneo Road, Cape Schanck, Victoria, Australia, circa 1992
Formerly Telecom Australia, the company was renamed in 1993 under the brand of Telstra. Telecom was established in 1975. The Postmaster-General's Department (PMG) was created at Federation in 1901 to control all postal (and later, telecommunications) services within Australia. In mid-1975, it was disaggregated into the Australian Telecommunications Commission (trading as Telecom Australia) and the Australian Postal Commission (trading as Australia Post). In 1992 the Overseas Telecommunications Commission, a separate government body established in 1946, was merged with the Australian Telecommunications Corporation into the short-lived Australian and Overseas Telecommunications Corporation (AOTC) which continued trading under the established identities of Telecom and OTC. The AOTC was renamed to Telstra Corporation Limited in 1993
Headings on list: OTC STATION / AREA (In geographic order around the coast) / SEAPHONE CHANNELS / INTERNATIONAL DISTRESS, CALLING, WORKING
Type of item
190 mm (Length), 40 mm (Width), 235 mm (Height)
Melbourne MCS (Melbourne Maritime Coastal Service) accessed 13 March 2012 [Link 1]