This horizontal air compressor was one of a pair of electrically powered Kelly & Lewis units installed in the South Engine Room in about 1926. They replaced several small steam-powered compressors mounted on the large steam pumping engines. By the 1920s, electric equipment began to replace the steam-powered machinery at the Station after it was connected to the State Electricity Commission (SEC) power grid. The motor was manufactured by the English Electric Co. in the United Kingdom.

More Information