Photograph of the interior of the Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria.
Part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company's history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.
Description of Content
Factory interior at the H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria. Men are at work manufacturing agricultural implements and components. The workshop includes steam powered metal- working machines with overhead belt drives. There is a blacksmith's forge at the rear of the factory. Some of the workmen are threading spokes on the threading machines for later assembly into the main or off-side wheels of the combination harvesters.
Black and white photograph on backing board.
Donation from Councillor Don McKay, 11 Oct 1960
Photograph, Black & White
Type of item