Colour photograph looking northwards into the northern transept of the Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne, during the Herald National Boat Show held between 12-18 July 1984, showing the removal of timber floor and the excavation of the basement tunnel. The work was undertaken as part of a ten-month restoration and maintenance program carried out across 1984-85, called 'Programme '84. Work commenced on 14 June 1984 and was largely completed in time for the International Motor Show that opened on 7 March 1985.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

View of the northern transept of the Royal Exhibition Building in July 1984, showing an excavator at work digging a trench following the removal of the floor boards. The angular roofline of the more recent additions to the north of the original Exhibition Building can be seen at the end of the transept.

Physical Description

A colour photographic print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.


The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information