Black and white, glass plate negative of the exterior of the Austral Laboratory at Yarra Grange, Abbotsford, circa 1890 viewed from across the street.
This building was part of the Austral Plate Company photographic plate factory site. Thomas Baker, a pharmaceutical chemist, established this business on his residential property, Yarra Grange in 1884. In 1886 the new Austral Laboratory building was completed. In 1894, under the partnership name Baker and Rouse, this company was owned by Thomas Baker and accountant, John Rouse. In the first decade of the 20th century the company and factory site was bought and operated by Kodak. In the late 1950s Kodak moved from Abbotsford to a new factory site at Coburg on the northern outskirts of Melbourne.
Framed photograph of Austral Laboratory at Yarra Grange, Abbotsford, circa 1890, with caption.
This image is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
Description of Content
Three storey brick building fenced off with wooden picket fence. To the left is a smaller residence and to the right is vacant land. In the far distance are trees. An unpaved road runs across the front of the building. In the foreground is a fenced in garden.
Framed silver gelatin photograph mounted on grey card with text printed beneath, portrait format.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
Front, text, printed, black ink: 'The Austral Laboratory at Yarra Grange in Abbotsford, Victoria, was started/ in this location in 1884 - the building was completed in 1886./ This would have been printed prior to 1908 because there is no Stack. The Steam Plant/ at the right hand side of the building would be the original 50HP Plant.'
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
228 mm (Width), 9 mm (Depth), 315 mm (Height)
Dimensions of frame