Black and white, glass plate negative of the exterior of the Austral Laboratory at Yarra Grange, Abbotsford, circa 1896, viewed from across the street.
The name plate outside the front entrance states Baker & Rouse Limited as well as T. Baker & Co. The Baker & Rouse partnership was registered as a Limited company in May 1896.
This building was originally part of the Austral Plate Company photographic plate factory site. Thomas Baker, a pharmaceutical chemist, established this business on his residential property, Yarra Grange in 1884. In 1886 the new Austral Laboratory building was completed. In 1887, under the partnership name Baker and Rouse, this company was owned by Thomas Baker and accountant, John Rouse. In 1908 the company and factory site was bought and operated by Kodak. In the late 1950s Kodak moved from Abbotsford to a new factory site at Coburg on the northern outskirts of Melbourne.
This is one of 5 glass negatives contained within a box. 11 negatives in total (5 glass plates and 6 cellulose acetate negatives in glassine bags). Negatives all feature exterior views of the Abbotsford factory, and the box they came in was marked 'Mr Collins: Factory'.
This image is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.
Description of Content
Three storey brick building fenced off with wooden picket fence. To the left is a smaller residence and to the right is vacant land. In the far distance are trees. An unpaved road runs across the front of the building. In the foreground is a fenced in garden. The front entrance has metal plaques on the bricks either side of the door, which say 'Baker & Rouse Limited', 'T. Baker', and 'office'
Black and white silver gelatin glass negative, full plate, portrait format
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Place & Date Depicted
Austral Plate Company, Abbotsford, Greater Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1896
This building was constructed in 1886. The building has Baker & Rouse Limited nameplate as well as T. Baker & Co, so is likely dated after 1896 when the Baker & Rouse partnership was registered as a Limited Company. According to a caption on the same image registered at MM 155457, this image was taken prior to 1908 as there is no stack and the steam plant on the right side of the building was the original 50HP plant. This image was reproduced in a Baker & Rouse catalogue (TL 64825) which the curator has dated as between 1894 and 1908.
Glass Negative, Whole Plate, Black & White
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Negative/s
214 mm (Width), 164 mm (Height)