Two couples dancing as part of the Double K Square Dance Club, a social group organised by Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd staff at the Burnley factory, Richmond, circa 1950.
The staff are dancing here in the Powder and Solution Department storeroom at the Burnley premises.
The Burnley building was located at 550-556 Swan Street Burnley and was purchased by Kodak in 1950 as the Abbotsford factory became too cramped. The building was previously the Barnes Honey Factory.
Both Kodak's black and white photo finishing laboratory and the Powder and Solution Department (later known as the Photochemical Department) operated out of these premises until1974. The Photochemical Department was transferred to the Coburg factory in 1974, while the photo finishing laboratory closed down at this time because a black and white processing and developing service was no longer provided by Kodak after Burnley was vacated.
This photograph complements the Kodak Heritage Collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description of Content
Two couples dancing in a factory storeroom, spinning in a circle holding their hands high. The women wear long skirts, one with a scarf around her neck, and the men have tasselled collars over their Western style shirts. Behind them is a tall pile of crates, barrels, bags and pallets stacked in racking.
Black and white silver gelatin photographic print, landscape format.
Donation from Marie de Camara, 06 May 2014
Place & Date Depicted
Burnley, Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd., 550-556 Swan Street, Burnley, Greater Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950
Burnley was only purchased by Kodak in 1950 but it is not known exactly when the Powder and Solution Department started operating out of these premises.
De Camara (nee McKinley), Marie
Photograph, See Dimensions, Black & White
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
165 mm (Width), 122 mm (Height)