Black and white photograph of seven chemists in the analytical lab, also known as the 'corner lab', one of several labs operating under the Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd Research Department at Abbotsford, circa 1955. Staff in this laboratory were responsible for testing chemicals only, not products, but they tested solutions for different departments across the organisation.
The two men on the far right were both European refugees. Eric Niemanis, second from right, came from Lithuania, and on the far right is an unknown Hungarian researcher. Helen Beesley is pictured third from right. Helen studied at RMIT and began at Kodak in 1953. She worked there until circa 1957, becoming the head of the Analytical Lab. Helen met her husband John Beesley at work. He was an electrical engineer brought over on the 'Ten Pound Pom' scheme and he worked for Kodak from 1949 to 1955.
According to the recollections of former staff Joy Sutherland (nee Shattock) and Helen Beesley, this lab contained chemical solutions, workbenches and a fume cupboard. There was a large leadlined sink where they rinsed everything (equipment, beakers etc) in distilled water and placed them on a drying rack. Helen remembers the room faced west and was hot in the afternoon.
Description of Content
Seven chemists in lab coats (four women and three men) in a scientific laboratory with apparatus visible in the background and shafts of sunlight crossing the room and their faces.
Black and white photograph on textured, medium weight paper; landscape format, with white border.
Place & Date Depicted
Niemanis, Eric (second from right); Beesley, Helen (third from right)
Photograph, Black & White
Type of item
Image Dimensions - Photograph
119 mm (Width), 75 mm (Height)