Negative of an image showing the Machine Room at H.V McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works circa 1910.
Part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company's history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.
Description of Content
Workers drilling half-bearings for the assembly of bearing castings prior to final machining. In the foregound is a drill powered by a belt from the overhead belt drive. Several belt-driven lathes are in the background.
Black and white copy negative.
Negative - Copy, Black & White
Caption reads: 'THE INTERIOR OF THE MACHINE ROOM OF THE SUNSHINE FACTORY SHOWING IN THE FOREGROUND A DRILL POWERED BY BELT FROM THE OVERHEAD BELT DRIVE. IN THE BACKGROUND ARE SEVERAL LATHES, ALL BELT-DRIVEN. THE WORKERS ARE ENGAGED IN DRILLING HALF-BEARINGS FOR THE ASSEMBLY OF BEARING CASTINGS PRIOR TO FINAL-MACHINING'
Type of item