Description of the Sunshine Harvester Works' Cutting-up Shop.
Year established: Between 1909 and 1911.
The Sunshine Harvester Works' parts were produced in the Cutting-up Shop using bar and plate materials, such as flat, round and angle iron bars. Bars and plates were cut to length, shaped and then hole-punched.
Machines in the shop were arranged in two rows. The first row of machines cut, slot and punched holes into iron bars and reduced steel plate to strips. The remaining machines cut the metal to shape with special dies and trim radii.
Noted foremen in the department included Colin Phillips, Arthur Dedrick and Ern Nicholls. Gordon Whittle, Neil Crowley and Tom Dalling were sub-foremen. The shop was relocated to the Old Foundry in the early 1970s.
- Ray Browne and Ken Porter (former Sunshine Harvester Works employees), personal recollections held at Museum Victoria, November 1999 and October 2002.
- Massey-Ferguson, late 1960s. Welcome to Sunshine, held at Museum Victoria, registration no. HT 20127.