Description of the Sunshine Harvester Works Stores Department

Year established: Between 1918 and 1920

The Sunshine Harvester Works' stores contained thousands of items needed for the production of agricultural equipment. The Stores Department was divided into four sections: store office, bulk store, general store and tool store. The company prided itself on its stores, referring to them as 'a well-stocked pantry' (Sunshine Review 1950, 'From Rags to Diamonds', No. 9, pp.8).

Staff employed in the Stores Department diligently oversaw the receipt, housing and distribution of materials. Supplies were inspected for quantity and quality and then stored carefully in a tidy space. Stock cards were used to record materials received and allocated. Items could only be collected from the Stores Department upon presentation of a requisition signed by the relevant foreman of a factory department.

Supplies were ordered through the company's Purchasing Department. Staff in the store office recorded the inward and outward movement of all material. The bulk store housed materials used in the factory such as rolls of canvas, paint and bearings. These goods were then forwarded to the general store for distribution throughout the factory. Additionally, the general store housed the tool store which supplied various tools to factory departments including files, shovels, brooms and cutting tools.

There were a few noted employees who worked in the Stores Department. Tom McArthur was the Chief Storekeeper between the 1950s and early 1960s. He was followed by Fred Richer (1960s- 1970s) and Bill Scerrie (1970s-1988). In addition, Jimmy Hayes was the foreman of the tool store.

The bulk store still stands in its original position and is now home to the Visy Cares Hub youth centre. In 2001, the factory whistle was refurbished and returned to its original place at the top of the bulk store. It was later removed and now belongs to the Sunshine and District Historical Society.

Ray Browne, George Hales and Ken Porter (former Sunshine Harvester Works employees), personal recollections held at Museum Victoria, March 2000, October 2002 and June 2004.
Sunshine Review 1950, 'From Rags to Diamonds', No. 9, pp.8-9.
Related Narratives
A Postman's Route Around the Sunshine Harvester Works
Blacksmiths' Shop at Sunshine Harvester Works
Factory Site of Sunshine Harvester Works
Factory Whistle at Sunshine Harvester Works
Feeding the Factory 'Ratters' at Sunshine Harvester Works
Fire Brigade at Sunshine Harvester Works
First Aid Room of Sunshine Harvester Works
Industrial Chaplaincy at Sunshine Harvester Works
Quarry at Sunshine Harvester Works
Russell Street Gate at Sunshine Harvester Works
Woodmill at Sunshine Harvester Works

More Information